BREAKING, NEW STYLE HUSTLE, BREAKING/HIP HOP COMBO, STRENGTH & CONDITIONING
Justin Cancio is a dancer and educator. Having completed a BSc in Biological Science at the University of Calgary and an MSc in Dance Science from Trinity Laban in London, UK, Justin’s primary interest with dance is its use as an educational and community building tool. He has a broad range of dance skill and knowledge, primarily in Breaking, Krump, New Style Hustle and Salsa. Justin is a member of Empirical Freedom, a Calgary based multidisciplinary collective specializing in Krump and Street Dance Culture.
why do you love teaching dance?
I love teaching because I love to learn. Teaching is the best way for me to connect with other people, and I love sharing what I know to help other people grow!
What is a fun fact no one knows about you?
Do a google image search of me... There’ll be THE most curious photo (you’ll know it when you see it)… Go ahead and ask me about the story behind said photo… and no, that wasn’t the last time I rocked that spandex morph suit.
Why do you dance?
Dance is fun, and it’s one of my biggest passions in life! It’s something that I’ve actively pursued and taken consistent interest in from an early age. I dance to connect with people and to understand the world. I’m definitely going to be a viral internet sensation when I’m 80 years old and still killin’ it on the dance floor.
What is your favourite memory at pulse studios?
Meeting famous street dancers and pioneers of hip-hop culture. Pulse created opportunities to learn from living legends and meet people from all over the hip-hop world.
· Dance Montage 2012 at the University of Calgary
· Mainstage Dance 2012 – 2013 at the University of Calgary
· Battle City YYC 2014: Member of Northwest crew
· The Realm Krump Tournament in LA, California, 2014
· Battle Royal 4 in Bristol, UK: Top 8 in Krump
· Ultimate Krump Battle 2015 in London, UK: Top 16 in solo battles
· International Illest Krump Battle 2015 in Paris, France
· Breakin’ Convention 2015 in London, UK
· World Krump Championship 2016 in Dusseldorf, Germany
· Presented Master’s thesis “The Effects of Verbal Encouragement on Muscular Activation in Krump Dancers” at TaMed Dance medicine and science conference in Dresden, Germany, 2015
· Presented Master’s thesis at Healthy Dancer Canada Conference in Calgary, 2017